Sunday, March 22, 2015

Green your Clean Series! Kitchen

Last time we looked at the laundry room. So today lets take a look under the kitchen sink. You know, that area that is filled with all kinds of chemical concoctions that could probably start a nuclear explosion if put together in the right order... yeah that stuff.

Most of the things under my sink were cleaned out several years ago. However, there were a few I have not taken the time to take them to the hazardous waste site so there they sit. Today I cleaned it out. Besides the usual scrubbers, sponges, gloves, and my current cleaners. Here is some of the things I found in the back... stainless steal cleaner, scotch guard, window cleaner, TSP, leather cleaner... yeah some funny things find their way in lock up.


I went to read the ingredients and they are not even listed on most of them. However they do have warnings! (I know there is some scary stuff in there.) Have you checked under your sink lately? I am sure you may have some interesting things under your sink too.

In the kitchen stick to the basics. Vinegar, baking soda and a little dish soap.

So here are a couple alternatives I have been using around the kitchen:










Fruit wash:


Option 1: Did you know you can wash your fruit in vinegar if will kill bacteria and remove pesticides? Simply use 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar in a spray bottle to spray on or soak in a bowl of water. Rinse afterwards. You can add lemon or grapefruit essential oils for a little extra cleaning power and a great scent.

Option 2: If you want a little more scrubbing power with a pleasant scent try this bubbly one. Combine the following in a spray bottle so its ready to use:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 tbsp baking soda
10 drops lemon essential oil
When needed, spray on fruit and rinse off.




Oven cleaner: OK, so really. Who needs to clean their oven? I have to honestly say this is something I try only like once every 10 years as I think that must be how long my memory of it lasts. The labor involved in scrubbing....let me say its not worth it! Wipe out the crumbs and spend your time on something more important. If you must then use your self clean option, which uses a lot of energy but no chemicals.

If you really need to scrub:
1. Make a paste with baking soda and water. Use this to scrub the interior.
2. Wipe out as much as you can.
3. Spray the inside of the oven with vinegar. This will help to remove any left over baking soda. You will be able to wipe it out, no problem.

Otherwise - take this pass and move on! ;-)

All purpose cleaner: 

An all purpose cleaner is recommended in every home. Don't think you need a special product for every thing in your house. All purpose is the way to go! 

I personally love my Thieves Household Cleaner. You can make an all purpose cleaner with it using 1 ounce of the concentrate with 32 ounces of water. This can be used in place of any surface cleaner. 

Microfiber cloths: 

I have to say I love my microfiber cloths. I have been using them for a variety of household cleaning since the start of my journey and they are awesome. Nothing picks up grease, dirt and germs like them. They do an excellent job of removing grease and grime. When I wipe down my counters nothing compares. I will use just water or use my all purpose cleaner with them.






So there you have it. Get under that sink, clean it out and start fresh. You won't regret it.

Blessings!!

If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Google+Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment