Sunday, April 12, 2015

What is cooking in my kitchen this week?

What is cooking in my kitchen today? It is all edible but none of it is food. I was out of a few things so I whipped up a couple easy recipes. Lots of people ask me how I have the time. Really it does not take that long. I have all the ingredients on hand and can whip together most recipes in a few minutes. Lets take a look at what I made today...








Deodorant: I have used this recipe off and on over a year. I would say I am pleased with the results. I have tried several over the counter natural deodorants and still like this one better.

I purchased empty deodorant containers on amazon but you can use old ones after you clean them up if you wish. Here is the one I purchased.

You will need:
4 tablespoons bentonite clay
1 tablespoons shea butter
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon baking soda (optional)
1.5 tablespoon bees wax
25 drops essential oils- this batch I used 15 drops lavender and 10 drops Mel-A

In a double boiler melt the coconut oil, shea butter and bees wax. (I like to use an 8 ounce glass gar that I reuse for this each time.) Add in the clay and optional baking soda. Note: Baking soda can irritate some peoples skin. Mix well. Remove from heat. Add essential oils. Mix then pour into deodorant containers. It will make about 2 deodorants. Let cool completely before adding lids.

This project takes me about 30 minutes only because I have to wait for the oils to melt and I tend to do it on low heat. But during that time I can do lots of other things- like make a cute label.


Lotion Bar: I have been making these for years. I just love them and give them as gifts to all my friends and family. They are great for dry skin. Rub them in your hands and the heat from your body will melt the oil. These bars are very moisturizing. I get cracked skin along my finger nails in winter and I will rub my lotion bar on the cracks at bedtime. By morning the crack will be gone. Happy dance!

You can use lots of options to make this with different molds. I use a small loaf silicone mold but you could make hearts for Valentines or pour them into deodorant containers for easy use as well!

You will need:
1 cup bees wax
1 cup mango butter
1 cup coconut oil
1-2 tsp vitamin E oil or about 5 capsules of vitamin E
50 drops of essential oil

In a double boiler melt the beeswax, mango butter and coconut oil. Once melted, remove from heat and add Vitamin E and essential oils. Then pour into molds. Let completely cool before removing from mold or if using deodorant containers make sure its cooled completely before adding the cap.

In the past I have made bars with just lavender essential oil but this batch I decided to use stress away as I recently have been obsessed with the scent of cedarwood and lavender together and this was a perfect complement.

This project takes about 30 minutes to prep and get into the molds. Most of that time again being the melting of the oils. Using the mold above I generally get 10-11 bars.


So there you have it! My quick nap time projects in the kitchen today. Happy cooking!

Blessings!


If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Google+Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment