Saturday, August 30, 2014

What is in my garden mid summer

So summer is over half way over and being in Minnesota I feel like my garden (my happy place) is half way over too...

It was a very wet spring and although I started my garden early (from seed) it seemed to be stunted by the extremely wet conditions and severe storms (winds). I lost about 30% of my tomato crop by June. Many of my other plants either did not show or made a very poor showing.

My main crops every year are: strawberries- for eating and freezing, raspberries- for making jam, and the vast majority being peppers and tomatoes- for canning spaghetti sauce and salsa. However, I have been fighting tomato blight in my garden for 3 years.

In planning the garden, my daughter is also a big part so I plant things she likes as well. We always plant sunflowers, lettuce, carrots, sugar snap peas and beans for immediate enjoyment. However, I added a few new things this year.... some look good some not, OK most do not but hey I am branching out!!!

I tried planting the cucumbers under the sunflowers as suggested but only one cucumber plant has shown up and its really late, so we are not going to see very many cucumbers climbing the sunflowers this year.



This year I added cabbage, squash, watermelon, shelling peas and calendula to my garden. The cabbage has done nothing so looks like I will be going to the farmers market for all my saurkraut fixings.

No comments:

Post a Comment