Sunday, September 20, 2015

It IS all about the food....

It's been over three months since I realized gluten was a problem for me. For the most part,  I have ate really clean. There was the occasional breaded chicken breast or slice of pizza. But overall I stayed away from gluten and I was feeling really good. I had zero headaches, I was sleeping well, my tendonitis was gone, my plantar fasciitis was gone, I had more energy, over all my pain was significantly less, my wrists were not hurting at all and I was way overdue for my cortisone shots. So why would I mess with it???

Well, short story, I did. 

I had decided to try the Whole30 diet. I wanted to see if I could eliminate all pain and be more scientific about it. I also had the little voice in my head saying...is it really gluten? It could just be a coincidence. So two weeks before starting the Whole30 I decided to eat gluten. It had been several years since I did this regularly. I went a little berserk... I had buns with my burger, tortillas with my burrito, slice after slice of pizza, and breaded everything on a stick.  We went to the state fair, renaissance festival, various parties with family and friends, a mini vacation and out to eat at restaurants. I spent two weeks in total gluttony. And I regret every bite. 

Three days in I started having trouble sleeping. By day five I was waking with headaches. Pain started to return in my entire body. My wrists started aching again, plantar fasciitis flared and I could even start to feel my tendonitis. Consequently I also gained over five pounds. Yeah. Totally not worth it.

I found myself actually looking forward to starting the Whole30. Of course I was not looking forward to some parts, like no cheese or chocolate. But I was looking forward to feeling better again. 

I am currently halfway through it. I must admit it has not been easy. It's hard to cook completely separate meals for yourself while preparing and watching everyone else eat what you enjoy. It's hard to go to any gathering and have to just drink water while you politely decline all offerings of food or drink. 

I went through all the stages in what to expect on the Whole30 for the days I have completed. Yes, I went a little crazy when my husband left a big plate of chips in front of me and walked away. And yes I have craved and craved all the little things. But you know what, I have not given in. I'm still going and I'm just fine. The pain is still here, although it's improving. I know it will keep getting better. The world has not ended without butter, cheese or chocolate. I know it will be there when I'm done, if I still want it then.

Instead of looking back- to all my mistakes, or looking forward- to when will this finally be over, I try to focus on each day one at a time. Because I can do this. I will do this. And it's really not that hard. 

How about you, have you ever denied yourself something for something greater? What saw you though it? What was your inspiration?

Until we meet again, may you find the happiness you seek.

If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Google+Twitter or Facebook

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment