Saturday, June 6, 2015

Do you oil your hair?


Hair oiling. When I first heard the term I thought it sounded strange but really when I think about it I have been doing it for quite some time. Long ago I would do "hot oil treatments." And for the last 5 years I have been oiling my hair.

Recently I have decided to add more oiling to my routine. I spent a ton of time researching hair oiling. Since my son was born I have seen thinning of my hair and more recently an oily scalp. (I have started to work on my hormone imbalance but that is another post.)  

I have found three main ways to oil my hair. First as a styling product, like I have been doing for years. Second as an intense moisturizer on the ends. Third is oiling the scalp which concentrates on the hairs roots to help with healthy hair growth.

Styling:
As part of my efforts to get rid of chemicals in my beauty routine I got rid of my detangler and moose and started using argan oil. This small step made a big difference in my hair. People would say, "did you color your hair?" or "did you get a hair cut?" or "your hair looks great, what did you do?"  Well, I do color my hair and have been for a long long time. As a result it was dry, dull and needed help. And before you say it-yes yes I know there are chemicals in hair dye...but you have to pick your battles. Coloring is one (along with my hairspray) I have not been able to part with, yet.

After the shower, I use a small dime size amount in my wet hair. I concentrate on the ends and blow dry. (Beware as a little goes a long way... Use too much and you will have oily hair.) That is it! Easy right?

Root serum:
I found out there are great and inexpensive essential oils that are great for healthy vibrant hair. So, I have added a root serum and hair oiling to my routine (prior to shampooing) one to two times a week. I am seeing amazing results. My hair is shinny and so soft. It is still too early to say if it's made a huge difference in hair growth but I think it is looking pretty good. 

The root serum is my primary mode to focus on the overall health and growth of my hair, the roots is where is comes from right?!  I researched essential oils that are best for this and I chose to use cedarwood, rosemary and lavender. All of which help with hair health. I also choose to use grape seed oil in my root serum as a carrier and due to excess oil on my scalp. 

The night before I am going to wash my hair is when I use my root serum. I want it on my scalp as long as possible. I do it right before bed as part of my bedtime routine. I put the serum on my scalp using a glass eye dropper. I let it coat my scalp and try not to get it into my hair because I really want it on my scalp since that is where the hair comes from and I also want to avoid getting oil on my pillow. I have not had any problems with oily pillow case but you may want to keep that in mind if you do it,

Intense moisturizing:
In the morning (before shampooing) I occasionally oil my hair. I have long hair so it can use all the help it can get to stay healthy. I moisturize the ends for the dryness and overall health of the hair. In my research I found a really good article here about different oils to use for oiling your hair based on hair type. Based on my hair type I choose to use sweet avocado oil. I put about 3-4 table spoons of it in my hair, I focus on the ends and anything lower than my ears. I brush it in when I am done.  I try to let it soak in a good hour before washing. The longer the better. This could also be a "hot oil treatment" if you heated up the oil slightly... but yeah.. I have not done that.

Then shampoo, condition and argan oil as usual. 

What have you tried? I would love to hear about it!

Blessings!

If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Google+Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment